High School Graduation Requirements

  • High school students who intend to pursue a bachelor’s degree at public colleges/universities in Illinois are recommended to minimally take the following subjects in high school: English (4 years); Mathematics (3 years); Science (3 years); Social Sciences (3 years); and Art, Music, World Language, or Vocational Education (2 years). See individual college admission requirements for detailed information about each institution.

    Freshman and sophomores are required to take seven academic classes per day and one Academic Support Period class (for no credit). Sophomores with an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher may opt-out of ASP to take an additional course for credit. Academic Support Period classes (for no credit) do not count as an academic class.

    Juniors and seniors are required to take six academic classes per day (in addition to senior study), but may elect to take seven academic classes per day (in addition to senior study) or eight classes per day (without senior study). See the next page for detailed information about late arrival and early dismissal options. Juniors and seniors have the option to take an Academic Support Period in addition to six or seven academic classes. Except in the case of freshmen and sophomores with a P.E. Exemption, students may not take more than one Academic Support Period per day. Students are required to have one lunch period per day.

    Graduation Requirements (Class of 2021):

    A minimum of 26.00 credits must be earned including the following: 

  • + State law requires students to take Algebra and Geometry, leaving one additional elective math unit.

    ++ Global Economics may be replaced with AP Macro Economics, Introduction to Business, or Personal Finance to fulfill the state consumer education requirement.

    +++ Physical Education is required only for each semester a student is in attendance at a District 300 school, which may be less than 3.5 units if a student graduates early.

    ++++ Driver’s Education may be taken for course credit at the high school or for no credit if completed privately, although course completion will be reflected on the transcript to fulfill the state requirements.