Superintendent Harkin’s Weekly Update for January 21st: Vote for the Name of the New Elementary School, High School Transition Night Information
Good Evening Parents and Guardians,
Today’s Message Includes:
- An Invitation to Vote for the Name of the New Elementary School;
- Freshmen Transition Night Information;
- COVID-19 Information; and,
- District 300 Highlights
Vote for the Name of the New Elementary School:
The District 300 community is invited to vote for the name of our new elementary school by completing this form before Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at noon. Three finalists have been selected as a potential name for the new elementary school:
- Big Timber Elementary School
- Ridgecrest Elementary School
- Dr. Janine Steffen Elementary School
Upon the conclusion of the community vote, the New School Naming Committee will prepare a formal recommendation for the Board of Education, which will be presented during the February 8, 2022 Board Meeting. For additional information, please click here.
High School Transition Nights for Incoming Freshmen:
Dundee-Crown High School, Hampshire High School, and Jacobs High School will each host a “High School Transition Night” for incoming freshmen and their parents on Monday, January 24, 2022 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. (Please note: High School Transition Nights are held on the same date and time at each high school).
Students and families should attend the High School Transition Night at the school the incoming freshman will attend. During the event, families will learn about the high school experience, including an overview of the courses, athletics, fine arts, and clubs available to freshmen. Please visit https://www.d300.org/Freshmen for freshmen transition information and contact your school counselor with any questions.
- COVID-19 Dashboard: The latest COVID-19 data, including the number of student and staff positive cases, can be found on District 300’s COVID Data Dashboard.
- IDPH and ISBE Answers to Frequently Asked Questions: As a reminder from my previous message, several parents contacted the district regarding the Illinois Department of Public Health’s (IDPH) and Illinois State Board of Education’s (ISBE) updated guidance. Many of these questions are addressed in the Frequently Asked Questions for Schools document, prepared by IDPH and ISBE, which can be accessed by clicking here.
- Status of the Test-to-Stay Program: District 300 remains unable to offer the Test-to-Stay Program as an option for unvaccinated close contacts due to a nationwide testing shortage. The district is working with local providers to acquire additional tests. As soon as the district receives additional tests, we will resume the Test-to-Stay program.
Congratulations to the Dundee-Crown High School Science Olympiad team for their success at last month’s Harlem Invitational Tournament. District 300 would like to acknowledge:
- Charlie Johnson, who earned first place in the Gravity Vehicle event!
- Vibhari Yama, who earned first place in the Remote Sensing event!
- Bryce Wolfe and Vibhasri Yama, who earned first place in the Wright Stuff event and second place in the Bridges event!
- Kayleigh Dugger and Charlie Johnson, who earned fourth place in the Write It Do It event!
- and Brian Rathod, who earned fourth place in the Anatomy event!
Congratulations to the District 300 Finance Department who have recently earned several awards, including:
- The Meritorious Budget Award from the Association of School Business Officials International!
- The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Association of School Business Officials International!
- The Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association!
- The Certificate of Financial Recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education!
I am always impressed with the various District 300 accomplishments listed in my weekly message. If I missed mentioning something happening in our schools or with our students in the “D300 Highlights” section of this message, please feel free to contact me so I can be sure to provide acknowledgment in a future email. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!