District 300 Schools will Be Closed on Friday, February 1st
This is Fred Heid, Superintendent of District 300, with an important message regarding school for Friday, February 1st, 2019.
The persistent sub-zero temperatures over the past few days have taken a toll on our facilities, equipment, and school bus fleet.
Our custodial and maintenance crews have worked diligently to address the issues in our buildings in an effort to ensure that we would be prepared for students to return tomorrow. Unfortunately, the extreme cold has severely impacted our school bus fleet. Transportation staff have been working around the clock over the last two days in an effort to ensure that our buses would be fully operational. Despite their best efforts, we are currently having issues with over 20% of our fleet. These 35+ buses support close to 25% of our daily routes. Our team will continue working to get these buses back in operation. However, I have serious reservations about putting buses on the road that may continue to have operational issues.
As a result, all District 300 schools will be closed tomorrow, Friday, February 1, 2019.
- All morning programs supported by the Boys and Girls Club and/or the Park District will be canceled.
- All-District 300 students who attend out-of-district programs will not have school tomorrow.
- All after-school programs for middle schools are canceled.
- All after-school high school programs (athletics, fine/performing arts, and others) will continue as scheduled unless communicated otherwise by the coach, teacher, or sponsor.
- Middle school activities are canceled.
- Students attending ECC will continue to follow their normal schedule. We do recommend that they also check with their professor as to any class schedule changes.
Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.