What AVID is:
- AVID is an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. College tutors from local universities are an integral part of the program as they facilitate tutorial sessions and are role models for students.
- AVID places academically average students in advanced classes.
- AVID is for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle.
- AVID is implemented in the school and across the district.
What AVID isn't:
- AVID isn't a remedial program.
- AVID isn't a free ride.
- AVID isn't a niche program.
- AVID isn't a college outreach program.
The AVID curriculum, based on rigorous standards, was developed by middle and senior high school teachers in collaboration with college professors. It is driven by the WIC-R method, which stands for writing, inquiry, collaboration, and reading. AVID curriculum is used in AVID elective classes, in content-area classes in AVID schools, and even in schools where the AVID elective is not offered.
For further information you may contact: