Required New Substitute Training
All new District 300 Substitute Teachers are required to complete Substitute Teacher Training in order to become a sub on the D300 substitute roster.
The Next New Substitute Trainings are Scheduled For:
- Monday, September 10, 2018 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Thursday, October 11, 2018 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Wednesday, January 9, 2019 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Wednesday, February 13, 2019 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Wednesday, March 13, 2019 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
All New Substitute Trainings will be held at:
The District 300 Central Office: 2550 Harnish Drive, Algonquin, IL 60102
Click here to email Charlotte Ferris to reserve a spot. No walk-ins accepted.
Substitute Guidelines and Procedures
Requirements to be a Substitute Teacher: New Sub Checklist
- Complete an online application.
- Teaching or substitute license registered in Kane County. Please see ISBE License How To's for information.
- Copies of academic transcripts with degrees posted.
- Teacher Retirement System (TRS) enrollment/beneficiary form and Social Security form (SSA-1945).
- Read and sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status statement and BOE Policy and Procedure Acknowledgement form.
- Successfully complete a criminal history background check.
- Have written evidence of physical fitness (physical exam), negative Tuberculosis test and negative drug screen taken within the last 90 days.
- INS Form I-9 "Employment Eligibility Verification", including appropriate documentation. Click here for instructions.
- Mandatory substitute training provided by District 300.
All staff working with children in schools in Illinois are required to have a negative tuberculosis x-ray or skin test. The state also requires that evidence of a successful physical fitness and freedom of communicable disease (a physical exam) is on file with the district. A negative drug screen must also be on file with District 300. A licensed physician must perform the physical examination. Once on file with the district, these exams do not need to be repeated as long as there is no break in employment.
New substitutes will be required to attend a 4-hour orientation workshop prior to becoming active on the substitute roster. This workshop will include an explanation of District policies and procedures, as well as an overview of the sign-in process, drills and code red procedures. This is a mandatory, uncompensated training. A certificate of completion will be issued after completion of the training.
Responsibilities of the Substitute
Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the start of the assignment. All substitutes must first check in with the main office to report their presence at the school. At that time, a substitute must also provide state or government issued photo ID that will be held in the office until the end of the work day.
- Never leave students unattended.
- All subs need to check in at the buildings main office to inform them of their arrival as well as to pick up a building ID for the day. All sub's must wear the ID while subbing in the building.
- Carry out lesson plans left by the regular teacher.
- Maintain classroom discipline with excellent classroom management skills.
- Complete all reports normally required of the teacher, including attendance.
- Follow individual school requirements.
- Maintain a high level of integrity with regard to confidential information about students, parents, staff and other school-related matters.
- Be willing to work in a different room if need be, or if asked to help in a different area.
- Do not eat or drink in the classroom as it is a bad example for the students.
- Cell phone use is not permitted during instructional time. To ensure that students are not disrupted, please turn your cell phone off or on silent.
If a substitute has questions about any of the above responsibilities, please contact a building administrator or Human Resources.
The teacher/substitute teacher has the primary responsibility for discipline in the classroom. Should serious disciplinary issues occur, immediately obtain the assistance of the principal, assistant principal or appropriate school personnel.
Please take a moment at each school to become familiar with the building's emergency plans for fire and tornado drills as well as all lock down procedures. The information should be posted at the door of each room.
Professional appearance (business casual attire) and neat grooming are expected of all substitutes.
Emergency School Closing Information
Substitutes can obtain district school closing information during severe weather by:
- District 300 website (www.d300.org)
- District 300 Central Office: 847.551.8300
- D300 Mobile App (available in the app store)
- Local news outlets
Substitutes are at-will employees and work on an as-needed basis; there is no guarantee of a minimum number of assignments. Substitutes should make themselves available for as many assignments as possible. When selecting classifications and locations, please keep in mind that the more locations and/or classifications chosen, the more opportunities to sub at various schools.
Removal from the Substitute Roster
Substitutes may be removed from the substitute roster per their written request at any time.
Principals or building administrators can submit a report of unacceptable performance which will then place the substitute on the "Do Not Call" list for that specific building. These forms are sent to the Human Resources Office. Any questions related to being placed on a Do Not Call list should be addressed with the building administrator directly.
An accumulation of 3 or more of these requests or at the discretion of the Human Resources Director, a sub will be removed from the district-wide substitute roster. The substitute will be notified of these requests.
For the first 40 cumulative days of substituting in District 300, the daily rate is $95. Once 40 cumulative, full day assignments have been reached, the daily rate will increase to $105. Half days are considered anything less than 4 hours and are paid at half your daily rate. Substitutes must submit Report of Substitute Assignments form for pay rate to be adjusted.
Long Term Substitute rates go into effect after 19 consecutive days in the same classroom when subbing in a certified position. The long-term substitute daily rate is $150. Submit Report of Long Term Assignment for payrate to be adjusted.
District substitutes do not receive benefits from District 300.
Direct Deposit is mandatory. District 300 employees are paid biweekly.
Substitute Fee Reimbursement
- Have a Substitute license issued AFTER July 1, 2017, continue reading below.
- Would like to see the requirements for a Substitute license: Educator Licensure Requirements
- Would like information on how to apply for a Substitute license: Educator Licensure Application
- In efforts to reduce the substitute teacher shortage, ISBE is now offering a reimbursement of application and registration fees to qualifying applicants.
- Your Sub issuance date must be later than July 1, 2017
- You must work at least 10 full school days within one year of your issuance date
- You must apply for the reimbursement within 18 months of your issuance date
If you meet these requirements, please complete form 73-02: Substitute License Fee Refund Request. This form must be returned to ISBE by the school or district official. Forms submitted by the applicant will not be honored.
Charlotte Ferris, Human Resources Specialist, Charlotte.Ferris@d300.org.
Human Resources 847.551.8490
- Monday, September 10, 2018 from 8:30AM to 11:30AM
Board Policies Acknowledgement
D300 Retiree Returning
D300 Substitute Teacher Returning
DCFS Mandated Reporter Form
Direct Deposit Form
Electronic Employee Documents (Paystubs and W2)
Email Account Setup
Food Allergy Alert for Substitute Teachers
ISBE License How To's
New Substitute Teacher Checklist
Pre-Employment Physical Documents
Rapid ID Instructions-Single Sign On
Social Security Form
Substitute License Fee Refund Request
TRS Enrollment and Beneficiary Form