ISBE License How To's
Required New Substitute Training:
All new District 300 Substitute Teachers are required to complete Substitute Teacher Training in order to become a sub on the D300 substitute roster.
The Next New Substitute Training:
When: Friday, January 6, 2017
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Where: Central Office
Conference Room A
2550 Harnish Drive
Algonquin, IL 60102
To reserve a spot, email firstname.lastname@example.org. No walk-ins accepted.
Substitute Guidelines and Procedures
Requirements to be a Substitute Teacher NEW SUB CHECKLIST
- Complete an online application at http://www.teachinkane.org/apply/
- Teaching or substitute license registered in Kane County. Please see ISBE License How To's for information.
- Copies of academic transcripts with degrees posted.
- Teacher Retirement System (TRS) enrollment/beneficiary forms.
- Read and sign an Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status statement and BOE Policy and Procedure Acknowledgement form.
- Successfully complete a criminal history background check.
- Have written evidence of physical fitness (physical exam), negative Tuberculosis test and negative drug screen taken within the last 90 days.
- INS Form I-9 "Employment Eligibility Verification", including appropriate documentation.
- Mandatory substitute training provided by District 300.
All staff working with children in schools in Illinois are required to have a negative tuberculosis x-ray or skin test. The state also requires that evidence of a successful physical fitness and freedom of communicable disease (a physical exam) is on file with the district. A negative drug screen must also be on file with District 300. A licensed physician must perform the physical examination. Once on file with the district, these exams do not need to be repeated as long as there is no break in employment.
New substitutes will be required to attend a 4-hour orientation workshop prior to becoming active on the substitute roster. This workshop will include an explanation of District policies and procedures, as well as an overview of the sign-in process, drills and code red procedures. This is a mandatory, uncompensated training. A certificate of completion will be issued after completion of the training.
Responsibilities of the Substitute
Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the start of the assignment. All substitutes must first check in with the main office to report their presence at the school. At that time, a substitute must also provide state or government issued photo ID that will be held in the office until the end of the work day.
- Never leave students unattended.
- All subs need to check in at the buildings main office to inform them of their arrival as well as to pick up a building ID for the day. All sub's must wear the ID while subbing in the building.
- Carry out lesson plans left by the regular teacher.
- Maintain classroom discipline with excellent classroom management skills.
- Complete all reports normally required of the teacher, including attendance.
- Follow individual school requirements.
- Maintain a high level of integrity with regard to confidential information about students, parents, staff and other school-related matters.
- Be willing to work in a different room if need be, or if asked to help in a different area.
- Do not eat or drink in the classroom as it is a bad example for the students.
- Cell phone use is not permitted during instructional time. To ensure that students are not disrupted, please turn your cell phone off or on silent.
If a substitute has questions about any of the above responsibilities, please contact a building administrator or Human Resources.
The teacher/substitute teacher has the primary responsibility for discipline in the classroom. Should serious disciplinary issues occur, immediately obtain the assistance of the principal, assistant principal or appropriate school personnel.
Please take a moment at each school to become familiar with the building's emergency plans for fire and tornado drills as well as all lock down procedures. The information should be posted at the door of each room.
Professional appearance (business casual attire) and neat grooming are expected of all substitutes.
Emergency School Closing Information
Substitutes can obtain district school closing information during severe weather by:
Substitutes are at-will employees and work on an as-needed basis; there is no guarantee of a minimum number of assignments. Substitutes should make themselves available for as many assignments as possible. When selecting classifications and locations, please keep in mind that the more locations and/or classifications chosen, the more opportunities to sub at various schools.
Removal from the Substitute Roster
Substitutes may be removed from the substitute roster per their written request at any time.
Principals or building administrators can submit a report of unacceptable performance which will then place the substitute on the "Do Not Call" list for that specific building. These forms are sent to the Human Resources Office. Any questions related to being placed on a Do Not Call list should be addressed with the building administrator directly.
An accumulation of 3 or more of these requests or at the discretion of the Human Resources Director, a sub will be removed from the district-wide substitute roster. The substitute will be notified of these requests.
For the first 40 cumulative days of substituting in District 300, the daily rate is $95. Once 40 cumulative, full day assignments have been reached, the daily rate will increase to $105. Half days are considered anything less than 4 hours and are paid at half your daily rate. Substitutes must submit Report of Substitute Assignments form for pay rate to be adjusted.
Long Term Substitute rates go into effect after 19 consecutive days in the same classroom when subbing in a certified position. The long-term substitute daily rate is $150. Submit Report of Long Term Assignment for payrate to be adjusted.
District substitutes do not receive benefits from District 300.
Direct Deposit is mandatory. District 300 employees are paid biweekly.
Human Resources 847.551.8490