Skip to main content

History of D300 Schools

District 300: A Snapshot
Community Unit School District 300, located in the Fox River Valley in Chicago’s far northwest suburbs, was officially founded in 1948, with the first superintendent being Harry D. Jacobs and starting enrollment just 1,631 students. Growth and progress have been constant themes over the district’s six decades, which have seen ten superintendents (including current Superintendent Mr. Fred Heid) and more than 20 new schools. D300 is now the sixth largest school district in Illinois by enrollment and continues to grow beyond its current 20,850 students. Likewise, our test scores continue to increase as do our programmatic offerings and alumni achievements. D300 covers an area of 118 square miles with a diverse population including the villages of Algonquin, Carpentersville, East Dundee, Gilberts, Hampshire, Lake in the Hills, Pingree Grove, Sleepy Hollow, and West Dundee. Also within D300 boundaries are small portions of Elgin, Hoffman Estates, Barrington Hills, Cary, Fox River Grove, and Huntley.

Mission Statement
To ensure all students are college or career ready upon graduation. 

The "History" page was designed to inform the community about the history of D300, its individual schools, superintendents, and the Board of Education. As we reflect upon our past, we better appreciate our present and better prepare for our future. If you have any historical information or archival photos to share, please contact the D300 Archives Manager in the Department of Communication Services at 847.551.8388.

District Office
Phone: 847-551-8300
Fax: 847-551-8413
Community Unit School District 300

NEW! Central Office Location:
2550 Harnish Drive
Algonquin, IL 60102
Contact Us