Skip to main content

Algonquin

Algonquin Middle School
Principal Peggy Thurow
Spring 2012

Algonquin Middle School is a 6 through 8 grade middle school that serves approximately 550 students. Algonquin Middle School is in a well-established neighborhood and many of the current parents went to Algonquin Middle School for their middle school education. Most of the students that attend Algonquin Middle School live in close proximity; and some students attending reside in Cary, Fox River Grove and Barrington Hills. Algonquin Middle School was built in 1962 and is one of the older schools in the district.

In 2002 and 2009, Algonquin Middle School went through complete renovations that included the hallways, classrooms, cafeteria, new media center, office spaces, gymnasium, exploratory and art rooms, and a new graphic design technology lab.

Long before Europeans settled in Algonquin, the Potawatomi Native Americans originally inhabited the land. However, by 1834, the first settler of Algonquin, Samuel Gillilan, came to the area from Virginia. Settlers Dr. Cornish, Dr. Plumleigh, Eli Henderson, Alex Dawson, and William Jackson arrived shortly thereafter. There was some dispute regarding the original name of Algonquin, and numerous other names that were suggested including Denny's Ferry, Cornish Ferry, Cornishville, and Osceola. However, Samuel Edwards suggested the name Algonquin and on December 23, 1847, the name Algonquin became official.

The diversity of the populations in Algonquin has started to change with growing Hispanic and Polish populations. Many local businesses are opening to cater to these special populations, drawing more diversity to the area and Algonquin Middle School. Neighboring church, St. Margaret Mary has added a Polish mass to their church service and a Polish deli has been added across the street from the church. The prevalent change is welcomed at Algonquin Middle School and even though the population is changing, our enrollment at AMS has been relatively stable.

When Algonquin Middle School was built in 1962, it was named after the town of Algonquin and the Indian became the school's mascot. Algonquin Middle School has incorporated long standing traditions such as the Algonquin Hill Climbs and Founder's Days. Snapper Field, Lions Park and the Algonquin Pool remain historically named public areas for family enjoyment.

District Office
Phone: 847-551-8300
Fax: 847-551-8413
Community Unit School District 300

NEW! Central Office Location:
2550 Harnish Drive
Algonquin, IL 60102
Contact Us